Thursday, April 24, 2014

Didn't Give Up Trench Coat

Pattern: McCall's 5525 trench coat, jacket with belt.
Lilac Trench #sheer_lilac #clolorofthemonth
When I chose the fabric from my stash, I immediately went to Pinterest. input lilac trench and, wa! la! I fell in love with this Lilac Trench #sheer_lilac .


 Stash fabric is a lilac suede polyester with purple polyester lining purchased from Fabric Mart.
Sewing this fabric was a real challenge as it's kind of rubbery, slick on the back, and leaves pinholes. Believe it or not, I had just received these Clover Wander Clips in a package of 10 pieces from sewforless. After I had finished sewing most of this jacket, I was watching The Great British Sewing Bee Episode 2 and someone was sewing the same type of fabric and all I could do was agree with the comments.

Here are some things to remember:
1. Do not use steam as it causes more puckering.
2. Pins leave holes.
3. Ripping out stretches the fabric.
4. It's subject to puckering as it has very little give.

When I purchased this fabric on sale, I purchased two other colors. They will be made in a TNT and sewn very carefully.
As far as alterations, I did have to take the sleeves out and thank goodness, I had enough fabric to cut them larger by one inch. The reason I didn't know this before hand is because this was to be a muslin.



Notice on the first picture how my hands are not totally in the pockets. The pockets are not as deep as I would like for a coat. This is one change I'll make before making another.
There are a lot of steps to this pattern, but it is well worth it because everything came together beautifully. My problems were with inserting the sleeves and puckering from removing stitches which caused stretching. I have never removed stitches on anything as much as this jacket. I'd say more than 10 times, but didn't give up. Another way of not giving up is I'd work on other things in between working on this project.
Notice below that I failed to topstitch 3/8 " and didn't realize it until it was too late.
I highly recommend this pattern and I actually think this fabric is perfect for a jacket because it feels as if it's waterproof.


 

24 comments:

  1. Wow, Dorothy; it looks so beautiful. I've heard that trench coats are challenging to make. Kudos to you for not giving up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This pattern is very easy to follow and I don't think you'd have any problems making it. Choose your fabrics wisely. I'm good for working with what I have on hand since I don't get out much.

      Delete
  2. Good thing you didn't give up cause you have a real winner there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Faye, I'm glad that I took the time to get it to a wearable state. I really like this pattern!

      Delete
  3. Love it!

    I have to quit dithering and make my black jacket already :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nakisha! I look forward to seeing your black jacket.

      Delete
  4. Well done. You have done a great job and have a lovely coat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really like it, but I really love that Pinterest girl. She'll really styling that trench.

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful, classic coat in such a lovely color. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Regina! The color is a little abnormal in comparison to traditional black.

      Delete
  6. I agree with Faye - very lovely - and outside your normal sewing, so I am not surprised there were a few things to learn :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a pretty coat! I love the color and the style. Your hard work has paid off, Dorothy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This trench coat is gorgeous Dorothy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dorothy..It is beautiful. You did a great job... Love the little clippie things..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very striking! I have that pattern in my stash and since you sewed it up so well, I may need to move it up on my list! I appreciate all the little hints. I am nervous about the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annette, you will not have problems unless you choose a fabric similar to mine. Cotton will be great!

      Delete
  11. Wow! You have some serious skills! Love the Spring perfect color. Can't wait to see what you do with the chartreuse fabric! Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good on you for working through the difficult fabric. I'm *still* working on my trench coat and think it has to hang in the 'magic closet' for a while. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Don't let it sit too long or you'll give up on it. Try working on it in between other items.

      Delete
  13. I totally agree with the others. You did a great job on your coat!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for all of your wonderful comments. I hope to respond to each message.