Wednesday, April 2, 2014

A Burst of Spring!

 Butterick 5147 Lifestyle Wardrobe Line Drawing
Yes! Another A-line Butterick 5147 dress with front and back darts and back zipper.
Let me tell you about this fabric; It was purchased as a polyester table cloth on sale for less than $3.
This is thinking outside of the box. It was poly and I love the print so, I went for it. You'll get to see a dress made out of this fabric for my granddaughter. The leopard print dress and the Valentine's dress that I made for my granddaughter were made from yes, tablet cloths. I purchased two of each color so I have enough to make items for myself.
Lining: lime green pongee polyester
 

Alterations: On the front neckline I had to make a dart-size adjustment to remove the fullness. The sleeve pattern from the jacket was used and adjusted to the shorter length. A 1" sway back adjustment  was needed. Of course, I had to lengthen it because my dresses need to be hemmed at 44" for full coverage.
There is something to be said about this traditional A-line dress. It's been around forever and it never goes out of style. This and the princess style are the basis of most styles be it dresses or jackets. Threads Magazine featured an article "Sew a Sheath Dress" in January 2014 featuring how to create a custom version of both dresses.
Most times I'll make this dress sleeveless if I'm wearing it as a dress/jacket set. Otherwise I kind of keep the arms hidden for church.
 

27 comments:

  1. Wow! This dress and the colours look lovely on you! I have this pattern too but I haven't made anything from it yet. I guess I'll have to look at it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think you will enjoy this sleeveless sheath dress as everyone is wearing it year round (Thanks to Mrs. O).

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i loooooooooove that print on you, and can i say, i just adore your hats!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Table cloth! Wow, I'd have never guessed. You are so creative. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That same day I was looking for some white fabric and considered a pair of curtains because I really liked the fabric.

      Delete
  5. Dorothy, I love this dress. It looks like spring.. Just perfect fit and looks so pretty on you.. The hat and shoes match perfectly!!!
    Great pattern. I can't wait to finish up on the 4 granddaughters dresses... so, I can sew for me..It's been awhile,ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy, those grand daughter outfits are lovely and hopefully, you will be able to make something for yourself.

      Delete
  6. That is a gorgeous Spring dress and goes beautifully with your shoes and hat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovenicky stole my comment:) I was going to say how lovely these colours look on you as well :) And complete with a matching hat. As you say, you can't go wrong with the basic princess or A line. It's nice to see pretty, modest dress - I don't know what happened to the ladylike look, but I wish it would come back .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah Liz, It's hard to get away from this pattern as it seems to be so beneficial to my style. I'm really trying to work through my fabric stash as well as my accumulated pattern stash.

      Delete
  8. Ohhh, your dress is gorgeous, Dorothy! Love the fabric and style :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The colors are fabulous on you. And a classic dress pattern never goes out of style!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yet again a lovely outfit, so pretty with fresh spring colours. Dorothy I enjoy reading your blog and so impressed by the outfits you make. I have nominated you for a Leibster Award. Check it out. http://www.tracysewshappy.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tracy for the comments and the nomination. I'll check it out on your blog.

      Delete
  11. How many hats do you own? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. April I have so many that I can't put another hat box in either of three closets.

      Delete
  12. you are a foxy lady no doubt about it

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for all of your wonderful comments. I hope to respond to each message.