Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Introducing Spring!

This is the other top that I cut at the same time as this tranquil top.  McCall's 6398 Misses/Women's Tunic that's close-fitted at bust.

 I usually forget to show the inside work, so I decided to let you see how I serge this ITY knit, but I hand hem the sleeves and the bottom hem. I think it makes them lay as flat and neat as I want it.

I created the facings because on the solid colors, I didn't want the topstitching. Notice that like my mom, I make the facings deeper.

This is the first one that I made from this pattern without shortening the length. As much as I like this outfit, I've only worn it once. Now this is a grab and go favorite. Some prints have to be limited to being worn about twice in a season.
It's hard not to keep creating tops from this pattern as I really enjoy wearing them. My husband purchased the first top like this which is beige with brown tones. So, maybe this is the last top from this pattern for this season.

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

It's Tranquil

M6398 is a Misses/Women's Tunic that's close-fitted at bust. Okay, I can really prove that both ways right!

My double

Sizes: 8-24W
Fabric: Tranquil Blue Poly/Lycra Techno Knit from Fabric Mart

After looking at some of the pictures that were taken on this day, I realized that this Techno Knit is heavier than ITY and almost as heavy as some of the Scuba Knits that I've used. That being said, I've placed this fabric in the stable knit category. I'm sure the same pattern in the ITY knit that I've cut will have more drape.

Alterations: Removed about 2" from the hem as it was very long for me

Here we go! This top is here, here, and here.

All of the pieces were serged together including the sleeves, all of the edges, and the serged edges were turned under and topstitched. This was a very quick process. Another one has already been cut out and ready for the machine.

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Simple Colorful Dress

Butterick 5058 loose-fitting, pullover, slightly A-line dress with bust darts. This is the same pattern as here.

Alterations: Added 5" to sleeves

In the near future, I'd like to make the top as I really enjoy the comfort of this dress.


Monday, March 7, 2016

Dresden Plate Quilt

This one measures 60 X 60 inches. It was fun and something new to me. There is hope for a non-quilter!
                    The Dresden plates were completed by a mom who passed away and her daughter donated them to the church. Of course, I had to complete the center circles, place them on 14 X 14 inch white squares, and choose matching fabrics. That was a chore since the plate fabrics was at least 1960's or 1970's. Since I found this navy fabric, I went online and ordered what I hope to be more since I still have twelve more plates.Binding is from the quilt backing. I'm thinking of making two quilts/throws with six plates each.

Thursday, March 3, 2016

Fun Projects for Mission!

These little pillow case dresses are fun and interesting to make. It's such a joy to know that certain little girls will enjoy a new dress. Those of us who had a mother that always provided that new dress so often know the feeling. There are videos online as well as opportunities to participate in these projects. These are some of the fun things we do with our church sewing mission group.


I think I made about 30 of these fun bibs. Videos online for the easy bibs.