Thursday, December 19, 2013

Completed December Challenge


                               Before adding insert   
 
Pattern Description: Butterick 5523 Close-fitting, A-line, above mid-knee length, pullover dresses A, B have draped collar, front and back pleats, concealed elastic casing, long sleeves with pleats at cap, back tab with non-functioning buttons, topstitching and stitched hems. B: contrast collar, bodice and sleeves.

Pattern Sizing: 8 - 24

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? No, due to alterations.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? After reading several pattern reviews, I thought it would work out perfectly, but I did have some issues. I really like the pattern itself. No one complained about the neckline being too low and I'm thinking it is due to the ITY fabric giving it too much drape.

Fabric Used: ITY border print.Certain Stunner: #Soma Cowl Neck Dress in Century Print #SomaIntimatesI was     inspired by this dress from Soma.com so much so, that I wore tights and a wooden heel.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: Added 6" to the length, 2 inches to the sleeve width, 2 inches to the bodice, and 3 inches to the bust. Maybe this was a bit much. I was so afraid that it would have been too close fitting. These changes could/probably did cause the neckline changes. I had to go back and add a 9 inch insert so I would be able to enjoy wearing it. I really like the dress and I was very comfortable wearing it.  I did topstitch each of the pleats.

Would you sew it again? Yes, in a ponte knit. 
Would you recommend it to others? Yes

Conclusion: I do like the placement of the prints. This will be a great grab and go dress. I used a double needle to hem the sleeves, but hand stitched the hem. It works best for ITY fabric.

16 comments:

  1. Çok şık olmuş, ellerinize sağlık. :) Türkiye'den selamlar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks great! Dot! love the print!

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, I think I shall enjoy it for a long while. I'm happy that you think I did a good job manipulating this fabric.

      Delete
  3. What a stunning dress Dorothy - I love how you've worked the fabric. And you wear the dress so nicely :)

    I'll take this opportunity to wish you a happy Xmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great dress! Beautiful combination of fabric and pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think lengthening the bodice was a good idea.

      Delete
  5. Lovely dress, Dot. The print is beautiful and the insert looks as if it belongs. It's always important to be comfortable otherwise all the work is wasted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking dress! Love your fabric

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have this pattern but never would have thought of using a border print like this. I love the way it turned out, even the insert looks like it was planned. A great look!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, maybe you'll try one in a print that you'll really love.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for all of your wonderful comments. I hope to respond to each message.